[History of the Strikemaster] [Return to known survivors table]

Strikemaster 1112 was built by the B.A.C (British Aircraft Corporation) at its Preston factory. It was completed on 12th June 1969, and following a successful test flight schedule aeroplane 'G-27-31', was declared fit for delivery.

The aeroplane was delivered to the King Faisal Air Academy of the Royal Saudi Air Force (RSAF) based at Riyadh during July 1969. It was operated by the RSAF on training duties for the next 28 years, being upgraded to Mk.80A specification during that time, until the British Aerospace Hawk replaced it in service.
Officially withdrawn from use, it was placed in storage during January 1997 having recorded over 6500 hours in the air.

During 1999, Global Aviation based at Humberside Airport acquired the aeroplane.
It was dismantled and shipped back to the UK and placed in store in preparation for re-sale. In May 2001, 1112 was acquired by a private individual and it was moved to North Wales Military Aviation Services, based at Hawarden in August ready for a full overhaul.
Now registered G-FLYY and re-finished in a smart black and yellow civilian scheme, it was test flown on January 22nd 2003, and made its public debut at Kemble's Classic Jet show later that year.

Today it is flown regularly and based in Eglinton, Northern Ireland, and visits airshows under the Heritage Aviation Ltd banner, normally alongside a Jet Provost T.5A XW324 (G-BWSG).

Related web-links:

[Return to top of page]